Thread: Into the Ether
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

I was a moderator on a music site back in 01'. Now our subforum is no longer listed on the mainpage, but it is still there, and still active... weirdly.

It's a Network 54 forum... very ancient... hardly any security. Anyone can post under any name... but since it was obscure (but active!) we didn't have trouble.

Two of my bigger original auto forums died. One, a local Nissan site went belly up... goodbye data. The other, Nissanforums, suffered an almost total loss of membership when the original owners sold out and left (taking with them Mike Kojima from SCC and some of the other writers of Nissan Performance Mag, who went on to start MotoIQ). I think my login still works, but it's frigging depressing going there.

Then there's Mazdas247, which I left because I no longer have a Mazda, Protegetech (same reason), our local Ford Club (same reason), our previous online magazine (dead), my second online magazine (still alive, but I'm no longer an editor) and The Truth About Cars (not a forum, but it feels like one... still... rarely comment nowadays).

Right now, I maintain only four or five different forums, and only two I'm active on on more than a weekly basis.

When I disappear from those two, I will definitely say goodbye. Have invested several years and over 20k posts each to them. Anyway... the people from there that I want to remain in contact with are on my FB account, so no huge loss. C'est la vie.