View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Vajra
EcoModding Lurker

ChazInMT, that sounds pretty good to me. After looking at the chart and trying to do a comparison of numbers not plotted. That would be a huge improvement. i go to worried about the side profile, had to remember later that I planned to narrow my sides down, tapering them. So I should see further reduction without adding CL. I have to wonder though why CL is such a issue. Can the lift generated really be that bad as to cause issues (other than flying aerocaps? )? I know how a airfoil works, but I would think on a nearly 6,000 lb truck that wouldn't be an issue. Oddly enough my trucks bed rail taper. I am going to use this to help reduce the width by a few inches per side, maybe a tad more.

So what do I do then to find this arc? I am thinking take a long board place in on the highspot on the cab, using a protractor, get the board to slope down 8 degrees. Measure the distance from the bottom of the board to tailgate. Then use PVC to make the gentle curve and take measurements at intervals?

Aardvarcus, my tires might add a inch over the normal tires, but her bumper sits pretty high up. I have a drop axle, on the cargo trailer. It is at about 12 inches off the ground of so. The hitch is at about my knee. Might not be quite 14, but close to it. I was just surprised at how far of a drop I needed to have, and it is still not quite level. Sometimes, I wish I had a elevator to get in and out of the bed. BTW, your V2.0 Aerocap is looking good. Can't wait to see it finished! How did V1 turn out, did you see positive gains?

Been a long day, and I am exhausted. Got lots of think about over the next couple days. I hope to make some starting checks this weekend so I can start planning. Thanks for all your responses and input. You guys are great! - Vajra