View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Many people don't think ahead when it comes to fuel economy, if at all. It is definitely a buyer's market for high MPG cars.

Gas is as low as $1.54 near me. That would be about 12 cents a mile for my truck, while my Prius is only 3 cents a mile. That's a savings of about $1000 a year driving 11k miles a year, without including the fact that maintenance/tires cost more for the truck. You have to remember that most people are terrible with money/don't care that they could be saving $1k a year by driving a car vs a truck even at these low prices.
That is about the most extreme example you could use. If you compared an average new pickup to the average be car the savings would only be less then $500 for 11,000 miles. $500/yr isn't going to move somebody who can afford a new car in the first place. What might move them is my brother just spent $45,000 on a new F150. That is 4 new Mirage's or 2 Prius'. Then again another guy I know just spent almost that much on one of those new VW Golf R's. In both his purchase or my brother's $1.85/gal or $4/gal wouldn't have made a difference in their choices.

Last edited by Hersbird; 01-28-2016 at 09:08 PM..