Thread: Into the Ether
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
And FB is different... How?

These things are focused communities. I don't need to be nagged that someone I was in third grade with having a birthday today or a sponsored post. A tight focus results in people coming and going, but it also keeps things alive as long as anyone is intersted in that focus.

I don't have to like any of you and maybe none of you would want to say two words to me on the outside. But here, within the focus of Ecomodder, we're all one big, happy family. Nobody needs to be bothered with what someone liked, friended or tweeted when they're here.
Oh, I totally agree with you. And I really wish FB and other social platforms weren't strangling forums left and right, because targetted info on FB is just so ludicrously garbage, due to the poor moderating they do. It's just that, realistically, I don't see myself staying on any forum that I don't have a part ownership/stake in, either as an owner, moderator or publication contributor, for more than a few years.

I wish that weren't true. And I wish that there was a place I could gather up all the cool, interesting and knowedgable people I meet online so that we could all have a good talk (that includes all of you lot!), but that's not going to happen. Just having pieces of those people and places I once knew on Facebook makes it easy to find them again. It's a horrible place for car talk, but it's better than losing them completely.