View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Frank
EcoModding Lurker

We have a 2000 Xplorer camper (based on the 3500 Ram Van) with the same mechanicals and typically get 9-10 mpg pulling an enclosed motorcycle trailer. I don't know what it'll do w/o the trailer but 12 would seem possible. The Xplorer has a 42" extension welded on, awning stuck out into the wind, large "trailer" mirrors and some weird-ass television antenna platform mounted on the roof. I typically drive 55-60 on the highway (O/D off) when towing and as much as I'd like, I don't expect much better mileage ever. The issue with these big vans is simply lousy aero and a lot of weight. I changed rear differential fluid to full-synthetic and didn't notice any change in mileage at all.

I do try to minimize weight by not completely filling the water tank, etc. but it is what it is and it's hard to expect better. I plan to remove the antenna platform but it's pretty hard to work on the roof and I worry about water leaks. The best solution is just slow down as much as you can get away with. It's a great tow vehicle and I use the built-in generator to charge my bike at the dragstrip (electric race bike.)