View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
Arrow Ecomodding to the Extreme - A Build Log

EDIT: Unfortunately, I have decided to pursue a different route in my quest for MPGs. I purchased a 2001 Volkswagen Passat and will be selling the Golf to a friend since the transmission is messed up. He wanted something he didn't have to worry about ruining and I wanted a Turbo. We are both happy now... This thread is not going to be continued unless he goes ahead with any MPG mods.

I have a 97 Volkswagen Golf GL that I have lightly 'edo'modded. The 3rd and 4th gear synchronizers are now semi-shot. I love this car and want to take it to the next 'eco' level. As is the car would sell for about $650 with the transmission issue. So there really isn't a point in selling it. Now, as an American, I have been taught to want more, more, more....So, I'm going to be real greedy and hoard all the MPGs in the pursuit of 200% EPA.

EPA for my car is 21/29 MPG (US gallons). I'm at 44-45 MPG(Got 50.0 MPG on a 75 mile highway trip today - February 5th) currently with the following mods:
  • Removed antenna
  • Blocked off missing fog light holes
  • 1" larger tires/wheels
  • Removed vibration dampener from steering (Heavy)
  • Fuel injector kill switch
  • Passive driving style
  • EOC down hills

The car is completely stock besides the cold air intake the previous owner installed as well as the wheels I put on.

The modifications I have in mind to reach 200%:
  • Weight reduction (Stock - 2540 Lbs, Goal - 1999 Lbs)
  • Replace 213K mile engine with 133K engine
  • Replace transmission (Different gearing?)
  • Possible hatch spoiler delete after testing
  • Redirect air around tires with coroplast
  • Power steering delete
  • Full grille block
  • Lower car ~ 2"
  • Shave bumper
  • Lighter wheels
  • Narrower tires
  • Heater delete
  • Mirror delete
  • A/C delete
  • Belly pan
  • Other stuff

I think 200% percent is doable if I were to remove ~550 pounds from the car and follow up with the list above.

This thread will be the build log for the car and I will document my progress and the results! This may take a long time to complete but I am starting now!

Last edited by dfeldt91; 02-11-2016 at 12:01 PM..