View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Reed
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
And dodge autos are the absolute worst thing ever
Care to cite a source for this misinformation? The 904 and 727 family of three speed automatic transmissions are widely recognized as one of the most durable and simple transmissions ever made. The A500/A518 or 4?RH or E (however you want to designate them) are esentially 904s and 727s with an overdrive unit scabbed onto the back. The front wheel drive four speed autos had a bad reputation because ignorant owners and techs didn't use the proper trans fluid for them. At the time they were introduced through recently, ATF+4 was the only transmission fluid that should be used. I prefer Dexron VI because it has the performance specs that exceed those of ATF+4 in the impotant aspects (lubrication, friction, etc...). Plus it is cheaper than ATF+4. I never put any additives in engine oil or transmission fluid and I don't recommend anyone else does, either.

The TC lockup shudder was a problem in 1979-1980 when the lockup TCs were first introduced. Chrysler released a fix which was a stiffer spring that went into the valve body that raised the loclkup point. This problem was solved by the mid 80s. Later transmission problems are mostly due to ignorant users putting in the wrong fluid.

But don't take my word for it. Do the homework and learn about it yourself:

allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

allpar.com/mopar/four-speed-automatics.html

If I remember correctly, overdirve on the A500/A518 is somewhere in the neighborhood of a .3:1 ratio. This would put you in the 2500-3000 RPM range cruising on the highway with 4.1 rear gears.

Again, in a full size van with a V-8 engine, anything over 12-13 MPG is a good day. Your best bets for inmproving economy are reducing weight, driving conservatively (install a vacuum gauge and drive to maximize vacuum), and reducing internal engine and transmission inefficiencies (run lightweight synthetic oil in the engine, make sure the trnas is adjusted properly). Low rolling resistance tires might make some differnce, but they haven't done anything noticeable on my 89 Ford full size van. Just drive your van and enjoy it. Just remember that you can't put a bed in the back of a prius or haul very much in the back of a leaf.