View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frankiec55
EcoModding Lurker

Building an Eco-Wagon

Dear List,

I am thinking of picking up a nice, clean, Box Caprice Wagon with no engine and transmission. Its a really solid roller, and the price is right. I really dig the look of these 80's GM wagons, and see this as the perfect opportunity to build one to my specs.

I have always wanted a big american station wagon with a manual transmission. I have an 80's Dodge Van with a \Six and Manual, but I wanna build up an actual wagon in a similar vein. The van is geared fairly low for hauling, so I want this wagon to be more of a spacious highway cruiser.

Many people have told me that a properly tuned V8 going through a manual transmission pushing a heavier vehicle will produce good mileage. But I really like the idea of a winding a little engine out to get 2 tons of steel up to speed. I was thinking of putting a carb'd Iron Duke and a T-5 in it. for the sake of simplicity. I am honestly not even that worried about mileage. I just want a big wagon with a 5 speed on the floor. I like the idea of diesel, but it would be more expensive, require a stronger gearbox, and be a bigger pain in the ass than a little Iron Duke. I seem to recall someone on here mentioning a Cadillac D-Body with an Iron Duke. What do you guys think? Should I just get a V8? (I love me some gutless wonders) I was kinda thinkin a 4.3 or a Camaro\Firebird 3800.
Edit:
I really like the 3800, I used to have a Grand Prix. I also read that the 4.3 has been put in production G10 vans and B-Body Sedans. I could probably find a cheap parts car in the form of an F-Body with a 3800 and T5 or an S10\Jimmy with a 4.3 and NV3500. Does anyone know if the motor mounts for the 4.3 or the iron duke are the same as a Small block Chevy? I figured the 3800 in the F-Bodys would be different but don't know for sure. I have also read that the T5's are somewhat fragile. I imagine a Caprice wagon with an Iron duke and Manual would only be a few hundred pounds heavier than an S10, but I dunno I feel like I would be better off with an NV3500.

How would you do it? T5 transmission in a B-Body Wagon. I am trying to decide on engine and rear end gearing for highway cruising with maybe very light duty towing.

Last edited by Frankiec55; 02-04-2016 at 10:46 PM..