View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
phoenix_fire2005
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Hatch - '98 Honda Civic DX (Hatchback)
90 day: 34.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
I bought a set of defenders a couple years ago, at the time I couldn't find anything on the altimax's rolling resistance. Had I known they were competitive in that respect, I can't see how I could have justified the more expensive defenders
Well, I'll throw a point out there... I don't necessarily have a good rolling resistance figure for the Altimax tires... rather I just compared the MPG readings that Tire Rack got in their testing. They did use the same car (2014 BMW 328i) in all the tests, but other factors could still hurt the consistency (consider thatsome of the tires were in tests conducted at different times, so different weather, different condition of car, etc).

I've also heard that LRR tires actually get better once they wear down some, so it could also tip more in favor of the Defenders once they are broken in well. (Does any one have some figures for how much fuel economy should improve after this?)

Still, I'm willing to bet that since the Altimax also compared well to other tires that were in the same tests then it's probably still a good bet. The data from Tire Rack is the most complete and (relatively) consistent I've found yet, so I still think it's a pretty fair comparison.