View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #109 (permalink)
Bror Jace
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Arrow

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers Japanese sub-compacts from the 70s and 80s as cars that were very good for that time. Not perfect ... but better than the downsized clunkers the Big 3 were (grudgingly) producing. They weren't as reliable as some of the full-sized cars and trucks ... but here we go again with the idea that all the Big 3 could make well as a large, V-8 (or straight 6) powered, rear-wheel drive vehicle. Not exactly ideal in an era with emissions controls and $4 per gallon gas.

And, as instarx pointed out, the Japanese marques' reputation grew (positively) from these early models. Most people must have thought them worthwhile.

That gave Honda and opening 20 years ago ... and they never looked back. My 1995 Civic DX Coupe has 200,000+ (relatively trouble-free) miles on it and its 3rd owner just paid $800 for it. My 1990 Integra went nearly 200K before I lost track of who owned it. Both cars were driven hard, but maintained well and had long, long lives with no major problems or component replacements to speak of.

Yes, as jamesqf has chronicled, a small car may not necessarily be a cheap car. And that's a problem with the domestic manufacturers. They don't understand the idea that you can (and should) pour quality into a compact car ... and people will pay thousands more for it as a result.

What would you say was the best domestically produced economy/compact car ... the Ford Focus? I have known Neon owners and they wouldn't nominate their cars. I can't think of any others ...