View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRaceJosh View Post
The old overall high gear ratio was 2.51:1 (3.636*.69). The new overall high gear ratio 2.87*.84 is 2.41. So the engine spins 96% as fast as it used to assuming no slippage. That's darn close.

What I'm curious to see is how you took a 4x4 trans and put a tail housing on it.
Yah, that was the fun part - In the end, I basically made a franken-tranny.

In May 2015, I was scratching my head at making the rear of the Jeep transmission work in the Magnum. After several days of brainstorming, I came up with the remarkably bright idea of swapping transmission parts with a Chrysler Crossfire manual transmission (which was supposedly also an NSG370). Of course, I wasn't completely sure. Using Chrysler parts manuals for both the Jeep and the Crossfire, I performed a parts comparison between the Jeep transmission I had and the Crossfire transmission, and found out that they share 95% of the same parts.

So, I bought a Crossfire manual transmission, and inspected both transmissions. It turned out that I needed a sleeve bearing. Apart from that, I could mix and match the Jeep and Crossfire transmissions. Also made installing a shifter much easier.

Here are some pictures:

Comparison of front case internals for JK NSG370 and ZH NSG370

Comparison of rear case internals for JK NSG370 and ZH NSG370

3.8L V6 case, with a new shift shaft sleeve bearing installed

Original shift shaft sleeve bearing, pulled with blind hole bearing puller

Should someone want to power their JK Wrangler with a Mercedes engine, they can use the below transmission. Obviously, not going to happen - will probably keep this transmission for spare parts.

JK/ZH Franken-tranny

The item that will make it possible for a V6 Magnum to have a manual transmission...

LX Franken-tranny

Modified transmission mount, showing two drilled and tapped holes

Transmission mount, installed

RH, looking forward

LH, looking forward, with clutch slave cylinder

Close-up of clutch slave cylinder and clutch hose

Rear view, showing transmission crossmember in "NAG1" configuration
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (02-06-2016), Kimonoskunk (10-22-2017), Xist (02-07-2016)