View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Andrewhans
Studying Brick economics

Tahoe - '04 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 12.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStix View Post
The 2 things that helped me the most (thus far) have been narrow light weight tires with steel wheels. And having my stock computer programmed with the low altitude factory program.

Most aluminum wheels are actually heavier than stock steel wheels in the same size. And there was a recall on the stock computer for my van. The new program they put in made a giant difference.

My best thus far has been 26mpg highway. With my goal being 30mpg. My next mods will be new tires for summer, domed hub caps, electric fan conversion, and power pulleys. I wanna see where these leave me before messing with any aero mods. But a partial grill block, front and side skirts are in my future.
I have actually already bought a set of OEM 20" wheels for a 2015 GMC Sierra. They are much better looking than the factory wheels and I don't expect to lose more than 1mpg while running them in the summer. We will see though.

Also I'm considering a 2wd swap not for mpg reasons but because the front diffs in these aren't built well and have to be rebuilt quite often to stay quiet running. Going from AWD to 2wd would be a massive jump in highway mileage as well I'm sure.

I will be getting the ECU reprogrammed shortly for better eco shift points and leaner running in the low to mid load areas of my map.