View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #241 (permalink)
gildo4realdo
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the replies. I figured that was the case. I've tried teaching myself the techniques like you've discussed (low speeds, coasting to lights, etc.) but I'm also doing tank to tank averaging. I've thought about the scangauge but just haven't justified it yet, but definitely agree it's probably the best tool for learning techniques.

Metro, thanks for the link to your breakdown, I had seen it before but some of it never clicked. I think 8% increase with pulse & glide engine on is interesting. I'd like to get a scan gauge and repeat with my car. One thing is for sure though, I'll never do the engine off stuff. I understand it's all opinion and I'm not trying to stir up trouble but I think even with a competent driver, there's nothing safe about turning off power steering and brakes. We can agree to disagree here but I didn't realize that P&G works with engine on as well so I'll give that a shot. Also, I noticed you mentioned you pop the clutch when doing the P&G.... how often do you have to replace a clutch? (or next weakest mechanical link) I just flinch when I think about having to pop the clutch every 16 seconds. I figure using the starter is probably even worse. I'm just curious.

I figured there were some non-normal driving techniques going on here so I wanted to add to this thread so noobs like me don't come in here and think you automatically get 30%+ gains by just doing the mods alone and maybe just driving 65 instead of 70 on the interstate. (which is about all I do as far as driving style goes)

I've all but convinced myself to get the scangauge but I'm cheap. btw Larry, I am an engineer, but I have a hard time convincing myself to stay disciplined to these driving techniques so early in the morning... especially since I don't drink coffee. Anyways, happy hypermiling and I hope I helped add to this already extremely awesome thread which outlines what everyone needs to know about hypermiling.