Thread: Parts Guy Rant
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Somehow, I ran across a Canadian news channel on YouTube (CBC Marketplace). I watched many videos of Canadians scamming each other before the sound died on my laptop again. In one video, they recorded video of a automotive repair instructor thoroughly inspecting three vehicles and performing required maintenance. Then they installed hidden cameras on the vehicles and three people who worked for the news channel. They went in for $20 oil changes and everybody was told they needed radiator and brake fluid flushes. Each of the three left paying over two hundred dollars, but all the shop did was change the oil. In one case, they apparently sucked out the coolant overflow, put in new antifreeze, and then claimed they did the full job.

The instructor explained that he car required some special coolant and he needed to flush the system to fix work that was done incorrectly.

I wondered how much of the wrong fluid in the overflow had worked its way into the system, and how much damage it would have done. Couldn't he just suck it back out?

The dealership said the power steering fluid was fine in my Subaru. Sure, it was pretty clean, but the cap specifies ATF, so I needed to flush it!

What is the difference between Honda power steering fluid and normal stuff?