View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #325 (permalink)
dsscrusher
EcoModding Lurker

Actually Canada and the US, the household voltage is 120v. X 15 Amp = 1800 Watts. 80% is 1440 Watts. So a 1500W heater should run continuously without a problem. With the exception of the extension cords. Depending on how long and the gauge of wire in them, you will have a voltage drop through the cord, which will decrease the available continuous current.

But if you put the tank heater on an outlet with a timer, a 1 hour draw should not be a problem in most cases. The extension cord, will dissipate the heat generated, because it is lying in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I thought about the 1500W heater too. I decided against it when I learned that a 15A 110V outlet is only really rated for 1380W continuous draw (80% of the breaker rating). At some point would like to run a couple other things off the 110V plug in, so I need some overhead too though.

I also felt the coolant hose coming out of the heater this morning, and it was HOT. I'll have to get my IR temp gun and get a reading off of it just for giggles. If I was going to a higher wattage heater, I'd definitely try to mount the heater in a better position for better natural convection. Its too far off to the side right now IMO, but it was easy to install there.

The other option that I'm pursuing is an electric water pump which would circulate the coolant while the heater is plugged in. I need my garage back to finish up that project though.