View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Well, that was "Interesting"...

I disconnected the Idle Air Control to see what would happen on a cold start.

As expected, it took some feathering of the throttle to keep it running -- but after it warmed-up, it still required the input.

Some notable notations:
  • High Idle disappears (good)
  • (All the following items occurs, including after warmup...)
  • When slowing to a stop, the car stalls in Drive before stopping (it's a nice smooth shutdown -- you don't even know it until the charge light comes on and the steering gets stiff)
  • Vehicle stalls in Neutral (easy engine cut -- just shift to "N")
  • Engine Code Thrown - P1503 IACV Malfunction
  • Unknown operation: closed or open loop (used datalogger instead of SG-II)

Side note: the A/T version of this vehicle has a "Fast Idle Thermo Valve", which is a coolant operated wax plunger that keeps the idle up when cold (downstream of the IACV). This might be the target device, but has no "quick disconnect" -- it would require looping the coolant line back into itself (and no easy way to switch it).

Operation: What's fun, is that you can coast down at 400 RPM and keep an eye on things to keep from stalling, while in Drive -- and just give it a little throttle and off you go, or downshift to keep the engine alive...

To continue with this experiment, a couple things need confirmed:
- Is the low RPM operation potentially reducing the amount of oil and/or transmission fluid being pumped (down to a dangerous level)? It doesn't lug (so no concern there).
- I have a switch that I can wire into the sensor, so I could have more control when the vehicle is warm. Not being well-versed with feathering the throttle, some hard transmission engagements occurred at lights.
- Is this saving fuel, or could the ECU be compensating for the error? The SG can answer that soon...

I have the shop manual which noted the IACV circuit is involved in a complex feedback system that's fed to the ECU and determines idle among a bunch of other things. It didn't go into detail on the specifics of the ECU's logarithms in this case, but instead circuit and device troubleshooting, so

Any thoughts?

RH77
Rick,
Did you warm up the car and with it running at the RPM you want disconnect it? If not it will show those symptoms. I get the CEL light for low idle about 1 a month. Just use the SG and clear it.