View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #120 (permalink)
kimer6
EcoModding Apprentice

The 66 VW bus was very popular for surfers, young people and hippies in the 1960's! They are still to be found in restored condition in California for astounding prices.

I put the Kubota 905 diesel in my Metro Convertible during a manic 3 week span in 2008. It ran without issues for several weeks until the license expired. Installing a diesel in a petrol vehicle in this state is mostly illegal and would be failed by the emissions test station and would possibly be impounded if driven unlicensed. It still exists in storage minus a battery with a full case of beer in the boot, ready for the forthcoming zombie apocalypse. Here it is:

The current Metro diesel conversion in Texas is being done by a brave soul and true engineer who doesn't have to follow our strict emissions testing and insane laws. I cannot legally buy a $60 catalytic converter for the diesel generator set I just finished. Nobody will ship one to California. Its prohibited unless it has the California approved number inscription (available for $600 extra) specific to a VEHICLE. I can't wait to see his results.

Please post pics of your conversion!

PS: Friends (your neighbors) from Galway, Ireland, visited me. I took them camping for the first time and they loved being under giant redwood trees. The children played Tin Whistles around the camp fire. They were astounded that my van had 5.7 liters of American petrol V-8 motivation. The 8 liter boat engine in my garage really blew Eanna's mind. ....All the best......Kimmer-6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimer6 For This Useful Post:
elhigh (02-19-2016), Joggernot (02-16-2016)