View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
It seems the others don't want to believe me that its actually boiling the coolant. Here are the replies I've gotten.

Quote:
The temperatures produced by this heater will have no effect on coolant life.
Block heaters warm the engine coolant to approximately 180 ºF and do not boil the coolant.
To which I replied that it does boil the coolant, the manual says so and I can hear it boiling when I go to unplug it. Their reply:

Quote:
A 50/50 mix of coolant and water in a cooling system, will not boil until it reaches temperatures above 260 ºF.

The temperatures produced by the heater will not effect coolant life.

Here is the reply from the other.

Quote:
Typically, a heater of this nature will warm the coolant to roughly 160°F-180°F, which is colder than normal operating temperature range of an engine. The coolant should not be "boiling" at this temperature. Your engine will typically operate around 210°F, which would be the normal temperature for your coolant to be. As temperature rises, the life span of the coolant will begin to shorten.
To which I also replied with a link and quote to the install manual saying it does boil and I can hear it boiling. Their reply:

Quote:
The 150°F temp will not degrade coolant in any way as this is colder than what the engine itself would heat the coolant to. The engine should heat the coolant anywhere between 200°-225°F, which is normal operating temperature for both gas and diesel engines. There is no degrading to the formula at these temperatures.

So... yeah, not very helpful.

Perhaps a video where you can hear it boiling is in order.
Xist (02-16-2016)