View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
D.O.G.
Wanting more for less

Metric - '94 Honda Magna 250
Motorcycle
90 day: 69.83 mpg (US)

RedCelica - '94 Toyota Celica ZR
90 day: 35.97 mpg (US)

i30 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.84 mpg (US)

i30-22 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuveris View Post
Most of my driving is during peak hour, it's mostly steady driving at 60 kmh (35mph) generally only stopping for lights. Otherwise most of my driving us urban, generally only hitting highways once a month.
I'd definitely go for a grill block. How much to block is up to you.
I did it trial and error with an old piece of coreflute (coroplast in the US) (for sale signs etc) held on with cable ties.
If the car starts to get too hot, pull over, cut off the cable ties and try again the next day after trimming the grill block down a bit.

Weight reduction works in stop start traffic, it might help for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuveris View Post
I should also add, i don't want to do mods that compromise safety, hinder other drivers (eg I won't drive 90 on a single lane road with a 100kmh speed limit) or will not provide saving within around 12 months.
Safety is "in the eye of the beholder".
What I consider safe, some others are horrified by.
Turning off the engine at traffic lights is worthwhile. Using the key works, a kill switch is more convenient though.
Turning off the engine while moving takes practice and is only safe in some circumstances but the gains can be considerable. Don't close your mind to this until you've tried it on quiet streets.

I understand about not wanting to hold up traffic on single lane roads, but don't feel pressured to go over the speed limit.
I sometimes find a slower moving vehicle to follow, then it's "not my fault" if traffic is slowed down a bit.

Anyhow, whatever you choose to try, treat it as a game to keep boring commutes fun.