View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #248 (permalink)
werefree
EcoModding Lurker

ok I have not given up, however I must report the happenings. I now have 3 sets of 6 chinese 500F capacitors 6S. I also have two battery packs from old laptop batteries. each 10P,4S. The voltage is 15.3 or so. Well last night I got all the packs together in parallel. I got into my truck and gave it a go. It actually cranks by like 5 gear teeth or so... Then I plugged in the old dead battery and the voltage went to like 14.5. It gave a few more teeth. So then I added a 75A starter/charger, and it did it. barely, but it got there. The pack is able to start my mini cooper no problem at all, but on the truck I need peak 700A. So The long term next phase is to buy a battery and get my smog check so I can keep using my pile of rubble to get stuff from home depot... total failure I know for this goal at least... Next phase is to give up on these commercial crapola and get my self some home made super capacitors ala Robert Murray Smith. Actually yesterday he posted two videos detailing the quickest way to make a super capacitor. I am going to use activated carbon and salt water for the electrolyte. The dissadvantage is that this will make a 1.2V capacitor rather than 1.7 and you know CV^2... but OK who cares, I am just playing with junk in the garage and playing is the goal.
The Following User Says Thank You to werefree For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-04-2022)