View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #7104 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
A little bit about liquid cooling as discussed above. The mineral oil used for "Fish tank" PCs is because the oil does not conduct so the boards/circuits go right in the fluid. That is not a concern here as the fluid loop is isolated mechanically. The fluid only contacts the chill plate.
The reservoir is important to maintain fluid level through out thermal expansion/contraction. Having air in the system can lead to bubbles at the pump and cavitation. Put the reservoir high in the system so you can bleed all the air out of the lines. I would bet this is a bigger problem for internal combustion engines with their larger temperature swings. Having a small reservoir is cheap insurance.
Excellent! I have been toying with the idea of submerging an IGBT-based controller in coolant - a less expensive version of the fish tank fluid - and circulating it through an external radiator. What has stopped me so far is whether the fluid will cause problems with the capacitors. They are open type electrolytics.

Using the non-water based coolant is less efficient heat transfer - so I've read - but having a coolant leak of water/glycol causes ... issues ... with the controller and the motor. I realize that the controller and the motor have to be water resistant - sealed and gasketed - to handle being in the engine bay, splashes, puddles ...

Just an idea I've been toying with ..