View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

I have obviously misunderstood what you have been saying.
I thought you were advocating creating a hydrogen (H) fuel infrastructure and using fuel cell powered vehicles. This seemed like a less than optimum solution given the inefficiencies in the hydrogen fuel cycle and the likely source of the hydrogen.
Using hydrogen as a type of battery for the production stage and long term storage is very different. Then we are talking about bulk storage, large scale fuel cells and the production of bio-fuels.
No vast new infrastructure, simply producing electricity, diesel and jet fuel from stored hydrogen rather than fossil fuels.
As i mentioned a few posts ago using bio-fuel to replace existing fuels will be the most likely route for existing diesel powered vehicles and jet fuel powered aircraft.
If that bio-fuel can come from stored hydrogen derived from electricity production rather than from agriculture then even better as it won't seem like it is stealing food from people and driving up food prices. If it can be done efficiently then even better again.