View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
On my Insight (which shares its platform with the Fit) I have Continental 175/65/R15 on steels for winter tires and 185/55/R16 Bridgestone Turenzas on the OEM 16" alloys.

The Turanzas do have more grip that my winter tires if the temperature is well above freezing, also they seem to cope with high pressure better. But the Contis grip snow almost like tarmac - glad to have those when I need them.

Cold may be an issue.
I do not know what make and type of tires you have - but if they are anything like my Turanzas you will find that the grip level reduces fast with cold.
You may have no grip in the morning and tons in the afternoon on Colorado winter days.
A lower tire pressure would heat up the tire more by deforming it more, adding drag but also adding grip. If you have tires that grip well in the cold then they should do so at higher pressure too.

That said, pressure related grip levels are different for cornering and braking.
When you corner the tire deforms sideways; a higher pressure will keep it in line more. The higher the pressure was the better my car cornered, though comfort and probably braking definitely suffers above 40 PSI.

I keep my winter tires around 40 and my summer tires slightly above.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.