View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #353 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I placed a piece of iron ( the MGR's counterweight ) near the rotor. If you rotate the rotor while holding the iron near it, there are 8 evenly distributed distinctive places of magnetic attraction.
8 'magnets' would be 4 pairs - that makes some sense - to me at least

Quote:
I also tested the rotor with a small magnet. This is one of those magnets used to retrieve parts you drop when working on your car.
The result were quite different - about 12 non-evenly distributed attraction places.
With the external magnet there should be 4 magnetic points of attraction, ignoring the reluctance stuff?

If each of the magnets has a pair of sympathetic 'poles' where the motor's magnetic flux is strong enough to attract the magnet .. that would be 2 for each of the 4 magnets expected ..

If this is right, a different magnet where you can use first N then S in the same test should show 12 non-evenly distributed areas for N and 12 different ones for S but mapping them all together it should be 24 points evenly distributed .. assuming for the moment that the rotor is built to have balanced output torque ... which it should so it does not vibrate ...

Quote:
I'm not sure if this helps; it certainly makes it difficult to visualize the rotor's alignment with a magnetic field.
IMHO - Data is ALWAYS useful. If it doesn't fit the present theory - the theory needs to change. OR if the data is not reproducible, we need to find out why ...
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (02-25-2016)