View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #1893 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
This could be the original link, similar photos and text.

Hewson Rocket- 1946 - Lane Motor Museum

Quote:
Stoessel fabricated the body shape and Erdos welded the aluminum panels together.
Welded the aluminum (1945), maybe a technology from WWII?

I was under the impression that the flux for making aluminum welding practical was a more recent development.

This picture from another source is provocative.

1946 Hewson Rocket - Conceptcarz

More information from the above link:

Quote:
The mid-engine is a flathead Ford V8 coupled to a three-speed manual transmission and a top speed of 90 mph.

Hewson's capital was depleted by the time the car's body was finished and he did not have the $16,000 owed to Coachcraft. They kept the car in their front show-room until it was auctioned off in 1959 to a used car dealer in Minneapolis for $650.
I'll just copy the whole thing..........more pic's in link:
1946 Hewson Rocket Images. Wallpaper Photo: 46_Hewson_Rocket_Slvr_DV-07-AI_e05.jpg Wallpaper

Quote:
Coachcraft, Ltd. was formed by three ex-employees of Howard 'Dutch' Darrin when he sold his California business to Packard on August 1st of 1939. The names of these three individuals were Burt Chalmers, Rudy Stoessel and Paul Erdos. They established their business at 8671 Melrose Avenue in Hollywood, California in 1940. They catered to craft to a wide variety of vehicles, from common, low priced vehicles, to rare, luxury cars. The designs they created would have a lasting impact on the automotive community. They were regularly featured in magazines and were highly sought after by the rich and the famous.

In 1945, William Hewson raised capital to form the Hewson Pacific Corp. and planned to produce the 'Hewson Rocket' to be sold for $1,000. Stoessel fabricated the body shape and Erdos welded the aluminum panels together. Hewson's idea was to give the body form a very aerodynamic shape wîth no projections anywhere - headlights covered wîth glass, tail-light lenses flush, and no outside door handles.

The mid-engine is a flathead Ford V8 coupled to a three-speed manual transmission and a top speed of 90 mph.

Hewson's capital was depleted by the time the car's body was finished and he did not have the $16,000 owed to Coachcraft. They kept the car in their front show-room until it was auctioned off in 1959 to a used car dealer in Minneapolis for $650.
See the attached for a less jarring windscreen proposal, more Porsche 356 like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDIT_Hewson_Rocket.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	19708  

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 02-26-2016 at 08:24 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2016), BamZipPow (03-09-2016), freebeard (02-26-2016)