View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Just so everyone understands:

The steel belt in a steel belted radial tire (way, way, way the most common kind!) RESTRICTS the growth at the center of the tread but does NOT eliminate it.

The wear on a tire is affected by the inflation pressure - BUT - there are other factors that are more significant. So you will get varying answers on uneven tire wear relative to inflation pressure as it is more dependent on other things.

For 8 years now, I've been cataloging reports on what affect ..... ah ......... let's just call it "elevated" inflation pressures have on things - and here is what I have amassed in 15 pages worth of anecdotes:

There is a tendency towards center wear. There is some loss of traction, especially wet traction. Tramlining (groove wander) seems to be an issue. Harsh ride is frequently reported. The data seems to point to more tire failures, but of all the information cataloged, this is has the least number of data points as not only are "normal" tire failures rarely reported, but the difference appears only to be perhaps a factor of 2.

That's the bad news!

But the good news is that fuel economy is improved. Tire wear rate is improved. Handling is quicker and more precise.

It is unfortunate that many things affected by "elevated" inflation pressures in tires haven't been studied more rigorously - but they haven't! What we have are anecdotes - and as with all anecdotes, there is plenty of room for .... uh ...... "discussion". I have no doubt that we are in for further "discussion" on this topic.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-27-2016), redpoint5 (02-27-2016)