View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #141 (permalink)
planejob
BeginnerModder

Ok, Update on the throttle linkage:

Sunday I went out and planned to do some more CAD work and build a "throttle linkage motion translator" - yep, something that turned a pull into a push.

I broke out the handy dandy Michelob Ultra box from the recycle bin and set about cutting the piece to fit. I ended up with a neat little box that folded up fine and when welded together seemed to be somewhat structurally sound.

I had a brake rod from a motorcycle that I was going to use as the pushrod, but it would have been non-adjustable once installed. I studied a bit more on the design (that's code for 'acquired CAD materials', which is code for 'drank beers that came in a box') and decided that some 1/4" rod ends would do the trick perfectly, especially when combined with a 17" piece of all-thread. I'm not sure the all thread will be strong enough, we will see - the failure mode of the all thread would cause the engine to not be able to go to full throttle - so a failure woul dbe an inconvenience, not a safety issue and wouldn't blow up the engine.

I ordered some rod ends from Amazon after visiting Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, Auto Zone, Oreilly's, and Napa. I pulled up a picture of them on my phone to show the guy at Lowe's... blew his mind. I saw the purple dust come out of the top of his head like in that commercial.

I also purchased insurance for the Geo today. It was like 95 dollars for the year. This insurance business is a scam - how many cars am I going to be driving at once? Why not insure the driver, not the cars? scam scam scam.

Anyway, tonight I will work on the wiring. I still need to find two unused wires ("on ignition and start" and "on start") from within the nest of the wiring harness that can be used to control, either directly or by relay, the fuel shutoff solenoid. I'm slightly annoyed that it requires power to keep it open - I wish I could track one down that was normally open and used power to turn off...

I removed the federally mandated 'face-bomb' from the driver's side and took out the control module. I will remove the bomb from the passenger side also and fill the cavity with foam, then recover the dash (with suede, I'm sure). I got a new steering wheel and adapter to install, I'm stoked about it.

Last edited by planejob; 02-29-2016 at 09:02 PM..