View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

asking tow vehicle advice

Hi! Been busy; not on here for a while, have enjoyed 3 cross country driving trips in the last few months.

I have an '85 factory diesel K10 Suburban which has been a get by tow rig, slow,but have enjoyed getting 14.5 mpg's while towing a 33 foot enclosed car trailer w load.

I possibly might want to professionally haul other people's cars in the future.
I felt like I needed a 3/4 ton.

I found, and now also have an '86 3/4 ton Burb that is the gas 350 with a great turbo 400. It is very peppy w a Holly 650 double pumper.

The first 'Burb can give me up to near 26mpg by itself on long trips.
This 2nd one is obviously way below that, but I've only driven it local, not towing, don't really know it well yet.

I love the 'Burb's 'cause with my quest bed from Walmart in the back, I have a studio apartment with full comfort to stay at RV parks on cross country trips all year round with a ceramic heater saving motel money, and being closer to GUARD the trailer and contents.

My original plan was to go full hog, and put an early 12V Cummings all fresh in
this 3/4 one. I would not be doing the work myself, so some serious $$$ would be going out.

I am VERY OLD SCHOOL, not into newer stuff, purposely delighted in finding this 2nd one w all manual windows, and old timey kick panel floor vents!
Reluctantly, at some point, A/C will probably be needed to be added though.

In the last 2 days, the thought has struck me to have the healthy all ready there 350 converted to PROPANE!!! I've heard that it could improve the mpg a little while of course leaving a MUCH GREENER FOOTPRINT!!!

Both 'Burbs have the 3.73 diff. ratio.

If I went w propane, would the lower mpg compared to a Cummings still put me ahead $$ wise as the Cummings coming to reality IS a big expense.

Remember, I'm 61 years old, and I'm thinking of keeping both rigs forever until I'M DONE!!!

I know it would be nice to have a manual trans. in it for possible downhill in the snow shifting, but that would be infrequent at best, where the turbo 400 would be just fine really.

I would only be doing this cross country towing as a part time job emphasizing
a somewhat relaxed pace w no concrete deadlines time wise. I am saying this since obviously propane may be hard to find at 10:30 at night somewhere
one hasn't been before.

The 1st 'Burb is just an emergency tow backup, and will still be enjoyed by itself in my personal life.

I know the relation of propane vs. gas prices is very weird right now, but know high gas prices will be coming back soon, probably with a vengance!!!

So given the fact that I won't change my mind about old Suburbans....(I would not want a Ford Expedition, even diesel, because of modern electronics); what is a better choice...............

12v Cummings made to be post nuclear still usable, or the 350 turned into
propane with an old distrib. w points waiting as a backup????

WHAT SAYTH YOU?????????????????????????????????????????????
Thanks!

06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]