View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
But, what we have to remember is that an offset impact at 35-mph is going to be serious in any vehicle -- yes, some more than others, but consider the following...

How often is this going to happen in a collision? That's 2 vehicles, each traveling 17.5 mph, in an offset collision, or one traveling slowly and hitting a stationary object.

Two vehicles hitting offset at 35 mph = 70 mph combined force. The odds of surviving a collision of this magnitude, in any vehicle, is slim.

I know these videos are a reference, but I don't want people to equate small cars to "unsafe", so people justify the purchase of a land-yacht for "safety". The F-150 of the same generation was equally as unsafe due to the jack-knifing effect as the cabin collapses.

Having been an EMT/Firefighter with extrication experience ("jaws-of-life"), I can attest that a bad accident is just that -- a bad accident. It doesn't really matter what you drive. Belts and bags do help, but only as much as Physics can allow.

Accident prevention and avoidance is crucial: Stability Control, ABS / good braking, etc. -- mostly for making sure the "other guy" doesn't hit you. Side airbags can make a big difference in a side-impact.

We do have an advantage here -- most of us have slowed-down in our driving. I'd like to think that hypermilers are more aware of the road and conditions as well -- anticipating traffic for optimum FE. That translates to better awareness, IMO.

RH77
Good points. To bad it does not equate to lower insurance rates/