View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #378 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out a "better for DIY'ers" method for connecting these things to a car.

Because there is that rubber puck in the back, there really needs to be some similar equivalent in the front. If the back can flex, then the front will be under stress unless they can too. It may be possible to just ditch the rubber pucks, period. However, there will be more NVH issues.

Yes, the mounting bolts thread direcly into the aluminum. I would be much happier if there was some standard nut&bolt arrangement. You can't fit a nut on the other side of that flange because of the gussetts. However, it may be possible to modify the nut to fit.

Regarding the drive flange - it appears Toyota had some custom tripod joint that bolts to the output flange. I'm trying to make a more general purpose set-up, which is one of the reasons for the VW Rzeppa choice. The type II joints, designed for the Porsche 924 and VW busses, looks appropriate for torque ratings, etc. If you want serious overkill, there is the Porsche 930 joint. Within a particular range, the axle splines are common and its fairly easy to find halfshafts for dune buggies that work. If you need a custom length, there are several companies that make these that don't cost a fortune.

So, I think a fairly reasonable solution is an adapter that can provide a 4 bolt Toyota bolt pattern to a 6 bolt Type II VW. I haven't worked out the details yet, but it is something I could build. The tolerances, metal requirements, etc are things most machinists could pull off.

Since a good part of the machining cost is set-up, maybe there would be enough interest for a group buy?

- E*clipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I ordered the mounting bolts and they are at the Toyota parts counter for me to pick up. I also got a $67.87 price quote to replace the rear mount rubber puck, mine is sort of beat.

My example is up-river so I can't look at it right now. Are those front mounts threaded in the aluminum? Because the parts diagram doesn't show a nut on a through-bolt.

Do you have a solution for the VW Group CV joint on the Toyota axle flange?
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-05-2016)