View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Bill the Engineer
Master EcoModder

Next Chapter of the story...

So, at this point I had the rolling chassis of the Prius V and the stripped down body of the Firebird convertible in the garage at home. (LOTS of removed Firebird parts are stored in a rented garage elsewhere.) With both vehicles side by side, I checked and rechecked where the two bodies would intersect when put together.

I then marked the two vehicles where sections needed to be removed.

The front quarter windows and the upper firewall overhang of the Prius V were cut off to bring the firewall area lower. The wiper system was saved to be combined with the one from the Firebird much later on.

Additional trimming was done in the rear. A hitch for my bike rack was added, which also serves as a support point for the body drop later in the process. Care was taken to keep the support structure while eliminating excess surrounding metal.

Over on the Firebird body, strategic cut-outs were made in the firewall for clearance of the A-pillars and a/c unit. (Yes, the Firebrid will have air conditioning!)

Cut-outs were also made in the trunk and rear floor areas of the Firebird body to fit over the Prius V chassis, including areas that would have stayed had they not been full of rust holes.

Next time: Cutting and fitting for two intersecting wheel arches.

Bill the Engineer

Last edited by Bill the Engineer; 04-11-2018 at 10:36 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
mcrews (03-05-2016), Xist (03-08-2016)