View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #112 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What they say on EVTV is once the battery boxes are in the job's half done.

That's a lot of support. Will it be heated/cooled?
The support is intended to have the battery case intact but bent, and still within the confines of the car cabin, after an end-to-end rollover. Hopefully the terminals are not shorted on the aluminum bracing

The battery box is inside the car's cabin, so it will be the temperature of the cabin, plus or minus a bit.

So far, I plan to insulate the battery box, so it will be warmer than the cabin most of the time.

I have a supplier that tells me he can do flat PTC heaters in a custom size, with a 2 inch bend radius, as long as I tell him the wattage. But he's a salesman so I will see what I get when I figure out the required wattage.

For the design parameters - I need to warm up the batteries - insulation R value of about 1.5 for the windows plus R10 on the battery box, from 0F (-18C) to a charging temperature of 40F (5C) in about 2 hours from a 110V supply that will give me about 1440W. This is all worst case stuff.

No active cooling - ventilation from outside air coming in, exhaust from the sunroof - our weather here has not reached 95F (36C) in several years so as long as I keep the sunny side windows shaded I hope to avoid air conditioning the battery pack. I didn't remove the A/C from the car as yet - I may connect it if I have enough battery pack ... but I doubt it!

I will be logging temperatures (there are RTDs .. or maybe thermocouples? .. buried in the Better Place packs) while driving and throughout the day .. when I get that far.
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-07-2016)