View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Andrei_ierdnA
EcoModding Lurker

SmurFITte - '13 Honda Fit LX
90 day: 38.01 mpg (US)
Windshield washer fluid - Commercial brand or DIY ?

What do you guys think about store bought products vs DIY mixes when it comes to windshield washer fluid ?

The Internet is full of DIY / home-made recipes for making your own mix of windshield washer fluid:
* distilled water
* splash of dish detergent
* some white vinegar / liquid ammonia / isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in % by volume according to outside temperatures - more in winter, less in summer.

With my old 98' Interpid, rust spots + stickers everywhere, faded paint, etc I didn't mind experimenting with DIY concoctions for washer fluid. Even found pills/tablets at the Dollar-store which you just added to water - they were great!

With my 2013 Honda Fit that is brand "new" for me, I'm concerned about the cars' paint/gloss being ruined, premature rusting through the water drainage holes or even the washer fluid hoses and pump being damaged long-term. The key here is long-term, as I want to keep my car forever.

PS:
I am fully aware I'm asking a crowd of people known to remove their windshield wipers for aerodynamics and remove the fluid from the reservoir for weight reduction. But I hope at least a few still use windshield wipers & fluids and can share your point of view.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 03-09-2016 at 06:37 PM..