View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
JRMichler
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Any IC engine > generator > motor drive system is limited by the efficiency of the engine minus the inefficiency of converting power to electricity minus the inefficiency of converting the electricity back into mechanical power. Diesel electric drive systems are well suited for high power applications such as locomotives. Adding an engine generator and electric motor to your van would add a number of failure points.

Since you list mileage, simplicity, reliability, and repairability as priorities, I suggest rebuilding the engine you have and making the modifications suggested by earlier posters. I also suggest a mileage cam and a five or six speed manual transmission, paying particular attention to the final drive ratio in top gear.

I would put in a multi point fuel injection system. If you want the on the road repairability of a carburetor, keep the carburetor for the throttle. If the fuel injection gets fried on the road, switch the gas line back to the carburetor and keep going.

I would also cover the roof with solar panels and put in an appropriate number of deep cycle batteries. You should be able to eliminate the need to run the engine solely for charging batteries.

I believe that such a system would have better real world mileage than any Harbor Freight generator / motor system.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.