View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 03:05 AM   #149 (permalink)
bikeprof
Wannabe hyper..., miler !

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Nice going on the project !
BTW-You got too many bikes in the way, that's a sign of a healthy soul, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planejob View Post
I think I fixed the pictures. let me know. I had to switch from photobucket to google photos - Google normally rocks, but their photo album is convoluted.

So, you may have noticed that the engine has to be rotated a few degrees in relation to the transmission/gas engine position in order to expose 1 of the 2 bolts at the top of the tranny. Tip o' the hat to Kimer for the heads-up on this - I went into it expecting to have to make the rotation and it worked fine. I was careful to rotate it in such a manner that the starter hole did not interfere with the engine block. Oh yeah, it would have been all too easy to Leeroy Jenkins this thing and end up with an adapter plate that had all sorts of interference.

I've been talking about the factory dipstick for several posts now (that means...... ahhhh... more than a month. sorry about this.) I used an expanding plug from the Home Depot to push into the dipstick hole and the <gasp> I put a 1/4-20 bolt into the plug and snugged it up, causing the rubber to expand and lock, as designed. I can't believe I mixed in SAE bolts

Stream of consciousness recap: I still need to drill the new dipstick hole. Perhaps today? who knows. Anyway... here's a few pictures of the mated assembly. Notice the starter and injection pump and on the same side of the block - they will be to the rear when mounted in the car. The transmission case supplies 2 of the three needed mounting points, so I will only have to fab up 1 motor mount for the right/passenger side. Half good news half bad news: I'm switching from an auto to a manual tranny so my axles are not compatible, the CV axle ends vary between auto and manual and the length of the axle varies between the 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder mounting points. I'm changing from 4 cylinder mounting point to 3cyl mounting (maybe, hopefully, my measurements are right and there will be enough room.) and changing from auto to manual. So I had to order new CV axles. That's bad news. RockAuto had the axles for 23 bucks a side. SOLD, SHIP THEM. That's good news. This means I have the current axles and nothing to do with them... wait, I need to be able to roll the car out of the garage to install the engine. So I'll deconstruct the automatic CV axles and use the stubs in the wheel-end to hold the bearings together while rolling. That's some good news.

Enough rambling, Here are the pics I promised: