View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
irrefutable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
Also I have refrained from some simpler mods. Moonies , finder, skirts, and not so simple mods ,belie pan, side skirts ,bumper rellocation/redesine entire front end to be more like a vw bug instead of a stack of bricks ,air dam, hood angle, rain gutter delete ect Ect ...
Why most would ask ?
Disbelief. I was expecting a 10-15% improvement and surprised myself with 20%+,haveing stumbled across some thing that would need better proof than simple manipulateable MPG
so what test will be expected as un irrefutable proof and not a gusstament 100%macanical diesel no computer or OBD 2
One major differentance that may have yealded the above average results is the8" past the tailgate. A cap crossed with a camback. A design aspect not seen on other caps . This is affecting the trailing air as well, not just top/sides. This feature I've noticed being implemented on '14 and up full size pick up trucks accrost the top of the tailgate. Also on mini vans, and cars .

Attachment 19745
Attachment 19746
Attachment 19747
Attachment 19748Attachment 19749
How much can this bump help ? And will it work with other cars/trucks as mod?
As to what will pass muster as scientific proof,we may be looking at wind tunnel data.After 40-years,I'm not confident that Cd vs mpg relationships can be taken as gospel due to a myriad of variables which can affect on-road testing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*As to your 'over-length' cap,mine's the same way.I ran a verification run a few months ago at 55-mph and showed a 23.2% improvement over 'naked',but along with the cap,I also had a nose,4-skirts,most of a belly pan,and hood blister.
With the whole kit,I've seen a 59.6% mpg improvement on three occasions at this speed.