View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 04:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The oil companies are the only ones that know anything about making, moving large volumes of hydrogen, hydroforming colossal amounts of substances, dispose of or reuse the waste and they are the best at moving tons of flammable liquid fuel and not to mention they already have pretty much everything needed to do all the above mentioned.
So even when liquid fuels are made from hydrogen split from water we will still rely heavily on the oil companies.
But that won't stop people such as myself, from making fuel. To be exact, it becomes a cottage industry of sorts. What is to stop me from setting up an electrolysis unit powered by sun or wind and run the resulting gas into a catalytic reactor along with partially oxidized farm clippings and using the resultant fuel to run my tractors and other farm implements? What if I have excess? I can register as a fuel producer and sell my product. I tally my sales and pay my taxes. No oil company involved. Have I done this before? Yes, with biodiesel. No, the oil companies couldn't do a thing about it. The only thing is my limited supply of waste vegetable oil limits me to a few thousand gallons a year and it would not be worth it for me. But quite a few local producers do far better with waste streams coming from large food producers. Once easy oil is gone and fossil fuels creep back up to 5 USD/gallon, this sort of thing becomes plausible and a diffused fuel production base will grow. It doesn't depend on a location with the correct geological formations and deposits. I just need cheap enough electricity and a carbon stream.

Carbonaceous trash is going to become a commodity.