View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Don't add timing then! Modern engines are typically a little knock limited but not always. I recall the new Subie FA20 turbo engines for example have very high tumble flow heads that allow the timing to usually be <20 degrees BTDC. On the other hand you have the Mazda Skyactiv engines which will go to 70 or 80 degrees BTDC at the lowest loads.

I would think EGR is inferior to a leaner burn, but if it enables more timing it might work. I think it's worth remembering that there's diminishing returns to having the mix burning earlier in the compression cycle, if you added timing from stock already maybe you overdid it. Why not test it out?
adding timing definately helped with torque and throttle response. I experimented with this on the dyno but only limited to enriched WOT. just adding 2* timing added about 7-10whp. at part load i managed to add a lot more timing over stock, something like 4-8*. this could definately be felt in the throttle response ans how much smooth and quieter it cruises now. however now that im doing leanburn i found i cannot advance the timing any further. reading that leaner burn requires advanced timing i thought this might be a problem. however so far i have not noticed any downsides. The EGR is disabled for now because i noticed spark plugs get really white at the tip with this combo i think due to very advanced timing ~47-50* cruise. i also think advanced timing is bad in cold weather for plug life.