View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

It seems we view the same information differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The disinformation I was pointing out was not about the hydrogen itself, but with portraying it as a low carbon technology as it was fed by windmills while the comparison was with grid powered electric forklifts.
Add the same windmills to that side of the equasion, have them feed their surplus power to the grid; no way that it would have a larger carbon footprint then.

Low carbon had nothing to do with hydrogen in that example.
It had everything to do with windmills.
Toyota proved windmills reduce carbon output. But that was not the purpose of their press release.

I am not against hydrogen technology. But I want to keep the numbers straight. Comparisons fair and realistic.
I was not the one starting a comparison between cutting edge and standard technology, rather I tried to even the scale somewhat.

Low (battery) weight is not a problem in forklifts as it obviously can be compensated with ballast weights, lowering the center of gravity etc. Also a lighter pack makes it easier to swap, and the charge time is much less than lead acid anyway. Would work even without swapping batteries unless you need round the clock operation.

I call for civility. Your use of post titles, terms like tedious, lack of understanding etc. appear unpleasant to me. You would not want to be called such either. So let's not do that.
It is clear to me they are making a BEFORE and AFTER comparison. It is a comparison of what IS and what COULD be. That seems very clear.

The current local power grid was listed as only 80% green and fed into the current lifts would only be so clean. This is in contrast to the possibility of a totally renewable power grid providing not just electric power, but motive power via stored hydrogen. It is an example in microcosm of what a larger system could be. It is not a perfect system, but one to study. The unfortunate derailment of the Icelandic attempt at a totally renewable power society leaves us with no large scale models.

And if my direct and blunt manner has made you uncomfortable, I apologize.