View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Drivetrains of the future

How One Company Can Turn Normal Cars Into Affordable Hybrids Using Supercar Tech

An un-attributed quote in the article:
Quote:
The new eAxle is an evolution of the system GKN designed for the Porsche 918 Spyder. The single-speed design minimises weight to just 20.9kg while optimising efficiency, installation space and costs for mass-market vehicle applications. A two-staged geartrain with a gear ratio of 12.5 provides up to 2000Nm torque and 65kW power for a dynamic pure-electric mode and balanced wheel torques for all-wheel drive mode. An electromechanically actuated dog clutch disconnects the electric motor at higher vehicle speeds and an open coupling minimises rotating losses when disengaged. Precision engineering of the gear teeth and other acoustic measures ensure noise emissions are minimal.
I like the Toyota MGR at 98lb and 68hp. The Aricmoto SRK has two motors in a single drive unit. It has 40hp; but I'm not sure of the weight. This article appears to say, in non-metric terms, 46lb and 85hp and that torque vectoring is built into the unit.

As cars like the BMW i3 and Smart EV populate junkyards, some drive axles will be preferable over others. I suspect the complete Tesla subframe, at 300lb will be most popular. What other candidates are there.