View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thalass
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Sorry, yeah. Last minute posts before bed are not so good hah.

The car is a Subaru SVX, factory curb weight of 1,590 kg (3,510 lb) according to wikipedia.

The AC-50 is rated at 120 lb-ft and 71 hp (peak power at about 3,500rpm according to EV West's chart, which according to http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html will be at 58 miles per hour, which is fast enough for me!)

By direct to diff I mean no gearbox, yes. I've seen it before once with an Impreza, and they had two motors. The first to the diff between the rear axels, and the second to another diff mounted where the gearbox used to be. They also had a good budget, though!

Ultimately I want to keep AWD, but the gearbox is automatic and I think it would be better to get rid of that dead weight (subaru gearboxes are stupidly large) hence the "direct-to-diff" thing. I suppose that means it would be a rear wheel drive car initially at least. I'm just not sure if such a motor could handle it. It is a fairly heavy car, after all. Though for the price I'd certainly hope so! A second motor would definitely mean good performance but would also mean two controllers (which would be good for Paul). My aim is to have "close to stock" performance, and at least 15km range - which should be easy with lithium cells. This is not a quick weekend project of course so I'd rather do it right.

Thanks!