View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
So, I've been brain-storming this a bit lately since I'm seeing it more feasible for me to buy a Leaf. Here's the most practical ideas I can think of:

1. Front clip off of another car with engine and transmission and all, turned into a pusher trailer.
Pros: No need to build a power train from the engine to the wheels. If the car is newer, it can be kept with all the low emissions stuff.
Cons: Throttling difficulties. More power than what is needed. Lot's of cutting and welding and relocating. More weight than what is needed. Can't be left off unless the transmission is manual and can be shifted into neutral

2. A small ~16hp engine. (I'm personnaly thinking about one of the Kohler propane EFI engines with a catalytic converter even though they're rated a bit high, about 21hp, although that's without the air filter and exhaust.) That hooked up to an 18hp go-cart "torque converter" CV transmission. Then the Comet Forward/Reverse/Neutral transmission placed betweent the CV transmission and a go-kart differential on an axle with to two wheels, or even better, a one wheeled trailer with no differential. I'd need to somehow make some form of suspention for it. This could also be made from the rear end of a scooter or motorcycle.
Pros: Much smaller, not so much power. Can be shifted into neutral with the Comet transmission and engine turned off. Still sort of emissions friendly with the EFI propane engine and catalytic converter. Won't have to be seen at a gasoline station with an electric car if propane propelled. Can be much lighter and smaller.
Cons: Throttling is still a challenge.

3. A small engine and a 12kW BLDC motor, rewound to produce 400V and up to 30A by 5000RPM, fed in to a rectifier (basically turning it into a large alternator) and hacking into the main Nissan Battery cable. An alternative would be to run a large generator and get a 400V charger.
Pros: Can be turned on and off at will. Can charge the battery even when stopped. Also could be propane powered.
Cons: I could get electricuted or ruin something as expensive as the battery itself. Controlling charge so that it not only doesn't overcharge he battery, but also doesn't over-amp the battery durring regen would be difficult to design.