View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Hmm. I wonder whether eldis' UMC drive
HTML Code:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/any-ac-motor-any-inverter-umc-152234.html
will end up being a contender here. The basic idea, as I understand it, is to rip the brain out of any given OEM EV inverter and hook up his board to drive the power stage instead. One stays limited by the capability of the OEM inverter power stage, but get to skip reverse-engineering the appropriate CANbus commands and either spoofing the parts you don't want to use from the donor or having to put them all in
Hmm. I have not read up on the UMC drive. It sounds pretty good! Open source is quite important to me - maybe eldis will get there.

I plan to do a similar thing with Paul Holmes' AC controller board. I have *SEVERAL* old industrial Variable Frequency Drives (AC in, variable speed or variable torque AC out) - Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Mitsubishi, Toshiba ... all air-cooled so they are heavy .. and with one thing or another not working. I would like to do a brain transplant on them and use them (since they are designed with 600VAC parts and tolerances, touch-safe enclosures) for battery chargers, DC/DC converters, and perhaps even single-phase 120/240V to power my shed.

None of them are suitable for a car - the heat sink being double the weight of everything else in the drives, huge inductors .. etc. But I might be able to help Paul make his control board easier to use when driving 'foreign' controller structures.

We have discussed that it would be nice to add another CPU, on a different board, to Paul's AC controller (and come to think of it, his DC controller as well) to do the CANbus interface, making the data pretty for a bluetooth link to android .. and a host of other things that the Motor Controller *DOES NOT* need to spend time on. IMHO reliably controlling motors is enough of a task!