View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Holy range anxiety! Get a Volt?
Thanks for the suggestion!

In reality I'm just throwing this out there. If and when I do get an EV I'll be prepared and this thread may have given me some good ideas, and then again maybe not. I just don't what to pass by something obvious. For an example, looking at my personal circumstances:

My daily driving is usually within 10 miles per day.
It's only on occasion that I need to go out of town.

Of course the idea here in this thread is what if I wanted to take my EV out of town? I'd really like a Leaf, not a Volt. But then again, the Leaf isn't the best option for drives out of town. Now there are other transportation options that are more economic and practical than a pusher or generator trailer on a Leaf, Volt included. And in reality I probably won't be driving a Leaf the 600 miles necessary to visit my mother-in-law. But I'm human and I just like pushing limits.

Hey! Speaking of range anxiety. I just sat down and researched charging stations on Plugshare. I see that to get to Denver (over 200 miles away) the next town that's 64 miles away has a level 2 charging station. And from there I can go along and about every 30 miles I can find another level 2 charger or 220V 50A outlet all the way into Denver. So it is possible to just drive from here to there in a Leaf. The two problems that come up are, 1 altitude changes. I'd have to cross the Continental Divide three times to get to Denver and even drive through the highest town in the USA, Leadville. And the fact that I'd be charging at each station for a couple hours. Probably around 4 at the first station. So 4+2+2+2+2=12hours. Add the 4 hours or more of pure road and it comes to a whopping total of 16hours.

Possible, but not as convenient as renting an ICE vehicle, opting for the Volt instead, or just taking the bus for $35. Hence, the pusher/generator trailer idea.