View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #236 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I bought a 2006 Scion XB new. The dealership had replaced the tires and wheels with an $1800 option which I declined so they put the stock steel wheels back on the car.

When I drove home (25 miles) I knew something was wrong. I checked the pressure and it was at 65 psi!!!!! That was the pressure of the 50 series tires they had put on the car not the 44 max pressure of the stock tires. I ran 44 until I got rid of the car.

I tried higher pressures on a 92 F150 and that truck beat me to death of those tires.

I've run 42 to 45 on the wife's Sorento and she has right at 50 k miles on the OE Continentals with just under 5/32nds of the tread left. One tire is a little noisy and there is a nail in that tire, but no leakage. Since the nail is right where most shops tell you it can't be repaired, it can stay there until she decides to replace the tires which will probably be close to 50k miles and before the winter of 2016.

I've run higher pressures for over 100 k miles, WITHOUT ANY FAILURE I COULD ATTRIBUTE TO RUNNING SIDEWALL MAX PRESSURE.

I will not run pressures significantly higher than sidewall max, 44-50 on my Mirage and at least 5 psi lower on the wife's vehicle.

How much has it saved me in 100k miles. Enough to buy the tires when they need replacing. I have a set waiting for the tires to wear out on the Mirage, at about the same 50k as the Sorento.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-24-2016)