View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
jscott
EcoModding Lurker

I will disassemble and recheck the connections, but I followed a checklist and rechecked everything. I don't know how to tell if the 12v battery is starting it or if the IMA battery is. This is my first time, and there is not a lot of direct procedural info that is complete enough to do this. I am piecing together different information from different sources to do the reconditioning process. I need to get the codes checked.

I did not check codes before and after. Oops. Probably would have been a good idea. Last code checks were from a dealer. Of course, they said I needed a replacement.

I had been recharging with the grid charger for about a year to postpone having to go through the ordeal of pulling the battery and reconditioning it. Finally, it was not lasting long and I pulled the IMA battery about 2 months ago, taking my time to recondition the battery sticks as I have two IMA batteries (one in and one out for reconditioning). I was very careful to put it together right, including making sure of alternating positive and negative sticks. However, that being said, I did not make an original map of the positive and negative positions. I did, however, mark the sticks on one side, and did not take out more than four at a time. Therefore, I likely did not get the polarities wrong. I checked them again before closing up the battery.

The car runs peppy, but the IMA light comes on right away (15 sec or so) when using the key. After resetting the code by removing the neg terminal on the 12v battery for 10 sec, I would get the light again. Like you said, I need the codes.

On the side, the grid charger fan was not working and the charger was beginning to smell of overheat. That is the second time my grid charger (first one was sent back for repair) has had a fan failure.

Last edited by jscott; 03-26-2016 at 02:58 PM..