View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #55 (permalink)
equation112
EcoModding Lurker

Diva - '07 Scion tc semi-custom
90 day: 27.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
OokiiMamoru -

Yup, I went to fight a motorcycle parking ticket (bad signage that had recently changed), and the judge was going bonkers at all the defendants. She didn't let me talk but reduced my ticket by half, so that worked out for me.

CarloSW2
since when do judges have the ability to deny a person from presenting a defense? that is treading on dangerous issues of constitutionality. granted, she reduced the ticket by half, but that was probably because she was aware of the potential problems her behavior might cause if she ran up against someone willing to *really* fight the charge, and possessed the assets to back up the intent just for the principle of the thing. 99.99999% of people would have been so intimidated by her apparent hostility that they would have folded and been happy they got off with what she deigned to give them.

the entire legal and political scene has gotten way out of hand in the last couple decades - the political profession for at least the last 50 years. to be perfectly honest I have come to the conclusion that lawyers and accountants (ie if a person has *ever* held a degree or license to practice law or accounting) should be barred from ever holding elected office - they know too much about how to manipulate the system and so cannot be permitted to be entrusted with the power of those offices. we need more scientists and engineers in political office... at least then things will actually get done.

[/rant]
Daschicken (03-02-2016)