View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I found one of these 12V coolant heaters, used, for a very good price. It was a bargain, since it not only came with all of the plumbing that connects it, but also with the fuse/relay box, with all cables still connected (not cut!). And the best thing: everything still works - the relays, the fuses, even all 4 of the glow plugs

I found a forum with the following info on this model:
Quote:
I took mine out today and tested them. They should measure about 1.2Ohms across them, which I think works out about 30watts each.
So this device should give me either 60W or 120W of heat, depending on whether I turn on one pair or both pairs. My cabin ventilation has a 3x100W electric heater, which is hardly noticeable when used (no sense using it when it's warmer than -5C outside). The coolant heater will provide even less heat to the cabin ventilation, but at least whatever is not used will help heat the engine a bit faster.

Soooo, I got this installed - hooked it up to the coolant line which goes from the engine to the cabin's heating core, and to the manual switches I had for the 300W ventilation heater (no plans to use it any more). I've only had one drive since installing, but not enough feedback to know how much faster the engine heats up. I do know that with the engine off, each pair of glow plugs drops the battery's voltage by ~0.5 volt, and I can hear the coolant start to sizzle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12vHDI.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	19831  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread