View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
recent/hood angle/grille opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Aerohead, that is a recent picture? I remember driving the Forester and thinking I could raise the end of the hood a full foot without impairing my vision whatsoever (although the 5'00" girl I was dating when I bought the car would have only seen hood! ), but I thought I read on here that it did not help--according to an expert who worked in a wind tunnel for a couple of decades, although I cannot find it now. I did read:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post288388

All that I remember from this failed attempt was realizing that I had the heater on and it blew directly on the Ultragauge, although I do not have any idea of how much heat the car's instrumentation showed, just the Ultragauge itself was overheating.

My car drives fine on level ground without air conditioning about half of the year. I pursued active grill shutters:

but I am not sure that it has ever been cold enough when I drove up a mountain that the hole I cut was adequate without the shutters partially blocking air flow! I realized during our "winter" that I could have temporarily closed the hole (I only cut the top and sides, folding the flap into the grill), but that will need to wait for next year. I will need to look into expanding it when I finally visit mom!

I had planned on laminating additional layers of ABS behind the first one and creating a box around the opening, so that air goes directly into the grill, but I prefer to spend extra money taking women to dinner!
*the photo was taken after the 2012 USFRA World of Speed in AeroStealth's driveway in New Mexico.
*I didn't do A-B testing of the hood blister at Darko in 2014,so I have no idea if it makes a contribution or not.The smoke flow over it looked pretty good.The trailing edges will be widened for this year,to get the air all the way around the A-pillars.
*FIAT showed a benefit for it in a SAE Paper from 1987

*As to the grille opening,if you have abrupt,sharp edges,it will cause what is called a 'vena contracta',which chokes off the flow.Bell-mouthing of each side of the entry will erase this chocking effect.
BamZipPow (04-01-2016), Xist (03-30-2016)