View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
redirecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMirage View Post
hi everyne, new member and first time poster here.

i read a fair amount before joining up but ive not found a single topic on redirecting air into the hole the car punches thru the air, sucking the car backward.

what i mean is, obviously a negative effect is created by a small suction behind the car, because the car just moved the air out of its way, creating an invisible "parachute" of circulating air, slowing the car down.

now, obviously the first thing to do would be too add aero or whatever modifications can be done too reduce this swirling vortex of gas slurping vacuum, but not everyone can live with a boattail or cam back ect.

has anyone done any real testing on redirecting air from high pressure areas (like wheel openings or under the car) and introducing it directly into the "parachute" of drag, effectively relieving the "suction", and increasing the airs ability to simply flow off the cars roof line or trunk?

please keep in mind, I'm new, but ive read a fair amount. maybe this has been thoroughly discussed, but i have not been able to find it mentioned anywhere.

thanks everyone!
*The premise of streamlining is to decelerate the air which the car's body has displaced,without it separating,to reduce,or eliminate the low pressure wake.
*The separation is controlled by a gradual pressure rise,which can only be achieved with a streamlined body (gentle cross-sectional contraction of the body)
Here's an example of a streamlined aft-body

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If you locally redirect air,anywhere along the body,you cause a local pressure/velocity 'kink' along the flow path which destroys the gentle pressure profile,causing separation downstream,triggering wake formation right there.

*the kinetic energy of the turbulence is lost forever and can never be converted to static pressure which otherwise would dilute the low pressure of the wake.All this leads to high pressure drag,which is what we're trying to streamline away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The 'Kamm back' is based upon the full-boat-tailed streamline body.The length of the car is decided by arbitrary 'practical ' considerations

'Kamm' was aware of length issues,and offered an option of an automatic extensible tail,which would only be deployed on the highway

,something Mercedes-Benz debuted this year with their 'Intelligent Aerodynamic' concept car.

Last edited by aerohead; 03-29-2016 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: add images
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-29-2016), mcrews (03-29-2016), whatmaycome14 (03-30-2016)